2

Number Crunching Delayed

Monday, March 23, 2009

Because there was downtime today that threw off normal server numbers and tomorrow is a patch that will do the same, but remove the daily server downtime by fixing the issue, I'm going to wait until next week to start the crunching. And I woke up later than I wanted to today to record the numbers. I live on the west coast of the US so even early morning for me is late morning for most the rest of the US. And I'm not going to get up at 6 AM just to record server numbers. So, it's 8 AM for me, 9 for mountain, 10 for central, and 11 for east coast.

I plan on recording the numbers 3 times per day: 8 AM, 1 PM, and 6 PM. Basically I want a morning, afternoon, and a primetime read. All times in Pacific of course. I'll record every day for one week (7 days) to see if there are discernible patterns. I might even make this a month long project. I do have a job prospect on the horizon that might take me out of the all-day free time "bliss" I've been in recently, but hopefully I can manage to record at work should I get the job.

Oh, and when I checked the numbers at 10 AM this morning, there were 380,332 people logged in total. Honestly, that's a lot more than I thought were subscribers, let alone players. I'm sure these count free trials that are logged in, but how many of those are there? One conclusion I know I'll find is that LOTRO is healthy.

2 Responses to "Number Crunching Delayed"

Anonymous Says:

Just wanted to point out that the number your looking at isnt for total currently logged in users, instead it is a cumulative counter that counts how many people have logged in ever (since last server restart) and does not decrease when someone logs out.

Jaxom92 Says:

Well that completely changes what I'm looking at then, and the project goals cannot be met. I'll have to think about if there is anything I could do with these numbers that would be interesting.

Thanks for the heads up on what these really mean.